Transportation has always played a key role in the development of our cities. Now, as we enter the era of the smart city, technological infrastructure is more important than ever for ensuring the efficiency of urban travel networks. That's where smart transportation comes in. It's a solution that simultaneously addresses the needs of traffic management and traffic participants.
Smart vehicles need smarter roads. The intelligentization of vehicles makes it possible for traffic participants to exchange and share information 24/7, regardless of the scenario or weather. Technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI), 5G, vehicle-to-everything (V2X), and Internet of Things (IoT) are maturing, and this creates endless possibilities for the construction of smart transportation networks. In smart cities, cameras capture traffic conditions; massive data is transmitted via 5G between multiple sources at high speeds; and V2X and automated driving provide new ways to travel. The result is a comprehensive traffic system that coordinates people, vehicles, roads, and environments, maximizing the efficiency of urban transportation.
- Intelligent perception facilities: Intelligent perception is created with visual perception as the core, and fueled by perception devices such as radars and the compute power of edge AI. It can be used to achieve intelligent recognition and detection, as well as real-time HD snapshots and analysis, which is useful for tasks such as monitoring speeding on highways and managing electronic toll collection (ETC) lanes. These applications can be applied anywhere from urban trunk roads to branch roads, and provide key data for traffic operation and planning.
- Intelligent connected facilities: These facilities are formed by integrating 5G and V2X with a wide range of data inputs from intelligent perception devices, and then enhancing them with edge computing capabilities. Vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) is a technological framework which enables vehicles to fetch data from smart transportation facilities. V2I requires the digitalization and reconstruction of road infrastructure, including signal lights, radars, cameras, traffic meteorological stations, variable message signs (VMSs), and LED guideboards. By fusing vehicles, roads, networks, and the surrounding environment data into one collaborative system, V2I enables high-speed, low latency communication to be achieved between vehicles and roads over 5G. V2X end-to-end low-latency (within 20 ms) direct connection control and HD video backhaul are used to help vehicles obtain dynamic information about surrounding road conditions and traffic participants, so they can avoid traffic accidents. This makes travel safer and more efficient, and also provides a more effective way to manage roads.
- Intelligent guidance facilities: By working in tandem with intelligent perception and intelligent connected facilities, intelligent guidance facilities provide traffic guidance information for drivers and smart vehicles in both visual and V2X modes. This includes signal lights, VMSs, and LED guideboards.
HiSilicon has more than a decade of technical experience in the field of intelligent transportation. With our leading image collection and processing products, AI edge computing, and 5G+V2X, we are capable of providing leading intelligent transportation solutions.
- Our smart vision chips include the IPC SoC and NVR SoC series, which have been widely used to crack down on traffic violations and manage urban roads. These chips feature edge AI compute capabilities and industry-leading 24/7 image collection abilities which function in all weathers. They are powered by CPU+NPU+GPU+IVE+DSP+MCU heterogeneous multi-core processing framework and Linux+LiteOS dual-operating system architecture, and provide powerful AI processing capabilities. They can even run multiple tasks concurrently in complex scenarios while maintaining high-speed response. With their powerful compute capabilities and diverse interfaces, these chips make it possible to extract vital information about factors such as complex crossroads, pedestrians, and non-motorized vehicles. They provide the foundation on which cities can build efficient transportation systems. We also offer our PON+G.hn chip solution which gives customers the power to provide transmission capabilities for intelligent perception facilities.
- We released our 5G+V2X pre-module solution at the beginning of 2020 to help customers and partners digitalize their roadside infrastructure and boost IoV capabilities. The HiSilicon 5G pre-module is more of a comprehensive 5G module solution than a baseband chip. The solution includes chipsets for baseband processing, RF transceiving, low-noise amplification, and power management. The reference design solution has been verified for commercial use, greatly easing the challenges of module development. With its embedded V2X function, the 5G pre-module can be applied to a wide range of scenarios. It can be installed in road auxiliary devices, including road signal lights and electronic signs, and supports the interconnection of road sensors and display units, such as cameras, traffic meteorological stations, roadside radars, signal lights, VMSs, raised pavement markers, and digital triangular cones. Through real-time interaction with vehicles and traffic command centers, multiple types of sensory data can be integrated to establish an information digitalization pipe that provides comprehensive digital road conditions to traffic participants.